Hello,

I have two MX80 router configured for MVPN multicast almost same way - both receiver only sites. One of the is able to serve multicast to connected customers, another one - not. Everything is checked - configs is almost the same, all type routes is in place on both routers, but one of them simply doesn't serving multicast.

I decided to configure virtual tunnel on that router and it starts serving multicast, which is wrong for me. According to Juniper, You should only configure vt interface in sites, where sources are present, but i explicitly setting them as receiver-site.

Can anybody explain me the situation? The only thing is wrong I've found on faulty router is that "Wrong incoming interface notifications" counter is growing, with vt and without it. On other routers everything is ok.

shmisak@MX80-HRAZDAN> show multicast route extensive instance IPTV
Instance: IPTV Family: INET

Group: 239.255.0.3
    Source: 10.0.242.117/32
    Upstream interface: vt-1/0/10.0
    Downstream interface list:
        ae4.3093
    Number of outgoing interfaces: 1
    Session description: Organisational Local Scope
    Statistics: 762 kBps, 567 pps, 1300332 packets
    Next-hop ID: 1048582
    Upstream protocol: MVPN
    Route state: Active
    Forwarding state: Forwarding
    Cache lifetime/timeout: forever
    Wrong incoming interface notifications: 3704
    Uptime: 00:38:14

misak@MX80-HRAZDAN> show configuration routing-instances IPTV
instance-type vrf;
interface vt-1/0/10.0 {
    multicast;
}
interface ae4.3093;
interface lo0.1;
route-distinguisher 10.255.255.25:3093;
vrf-target target:65500:3093;
vrf-table-label;
protocols {
    pim {
        rp {
            static {
                address 10.0.238.6;
            }
        }
        interface all {
            mode sparse;
            version 2;
            hello-interval 0;
        }
    }
    mvpn {
        receiver-site;
    }
}

On this router for example everything is fine:

misak@mx-gavar> show multicast route extensive instance IPTV
Instance: IPTV Family: INET

Group: 239.255.0.3
    Source: 10.0.242.117/32
    Upstream interface: lsi.1
    Downstream interface list:
        xe-0/0/2.3093
    Number of outgoing interfaces: 1
    Session description: Organisational Local Scope
    Statistics: 762 kBps, 567 pps, 682565 packets
    Next-hop ID: 1048642
    Upstream protocol: MVPN
    Route state: Active
    Forwarding state: Forwarding
    Cache lifetime/timeout: forever
    Wrong incoming interface notifications: 0
    Uptime: 00:20:05

misak@mx-gavar> show configuration routing-instances IPTV
instance-type vrf;
interface xe-0/0/2.3093;
interface ge-1/1/9.3093;
interface lo0.1;
route-distinguisher 10.255.255.33:3093;
vrf-target target:65500:3093;
vrf-table-label;
protocols {
    pim {
        rp {
            static {
                address 10.0.238.6;
            }
        }
        interface all {
            mode sparse;
            version 2;
            hello-interval 0;
        }
    }
    mvpn {
        receiver-site;
    }
}

Both are JunOS 12.3R5.7. Any help appreciated.

--
Best regards,
Misak Khachatryan