I've never had any issues doing it either way.  It'll auto-detect the topology,
even if you have only a single link.

What I have seen though is a bunch of units (at least a couple of months back)
coming out of the factory booting form the backup image (like the build image
was corrupt), so it may have nothing to do with your VC build at all.

Just upgrade to JTAC preferred, snapshot all members (and read a long novel
while you wait for that to finish) and then reboot the whole chassis.