Hi,

It used to be calculated like (Total - Free - Inactive - Cached)/Total, but
changed somewhere in 7.x.

>From the book: "Dirty pages need to be paged out, but flushing a page is
extremely expensive compared to freeing a clean page. Thus, dirty pages are
given extra time on the inactive queue by cycling them through the queue
twice before being flushed. They cycle through the list once more while being
cleaned. This extra time on the inactive queue will reduce unnecessary I/O
caused by prematurely paging out an active page."

So, dirty pages are slowly "cleaned" and moved from inactive to cache(for
the next cycle of pageout process which runs when the system is under
memory pressure or when the queues are out of balance) and cache pages are
freed to maintain a minimum number of free pages - consequently Inact
memory is not so easily accessible by the kernel.

Regards,
Krasi