On 7/Jul/18 20:01, Aaron Gould wrote:

> I love my dual-ex4550 data center virtual chassis's  However, I enabled mpls
> vrf on one recently and didn't feel very good about proceeding... So I will
> revert to pure ethernet switching, I put 40 gig into it and AE for fat 80 gig
> pipe to PE...actually my Facebook FNA, Google ggc, Netflix oca and Akamai
> aanp, plus private data center stuff are all connected to that EX4550 virtual
> chassis x2 for site diversity and redundancy.  That's how solid they are.  I
> depend on them for all that content... And have for about 5 years... Pretty
> much never a problem.  Rock Solid.

We've been super happy with the EX4550, save for two issues:

  * VC bandwidth doesn't scale well. You have to be careful about having
    a large EX4550-based VC, either in terms of member nodes or
    bandwidth being switched.

  * Buffer memory is very low.

The EX4600 only took the portfolio up to about 12MB of buffer memory,
which is peanuts. But, as I've mentioned before, the back-breaker was
that ELS debacle.

So bye-bye rock solid EX4550, hello Arista. Juniper royally messed with
the pooch on this one.

No point in us trying to maintain a platform that is now EoS, and very
soon, will be EoL.

Mark.