Hi,

> I would personally not wire or use fxp0 unless I'm out of options.
> Some other vendors today have real out-of-band ethernet for MGMT,
> meaning own CPU, own memory, own OS not fate-sharing the
> control-plane, which is the correct solution for OOB, but not
> something we as a community are actively asking vendors to deliver.

We built an OOB network exactly like that. Cheap L3 switches talking OSPF to
each other over their own 1G DWDM channels, completely independent of the
production network. A separate OOB network used to be crazy expensive, but with
cheap DWDM gear suddenly all you need is a free DWDM channel and some cheap
second hand L3 switches. And that's what we connect our fxp0 ports to.

Cheers,
Sander