On Jan 29, 2008 11:44 AM, Mulyadi Santosa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi
>

> On Jan 29, 2008 12:33 PM, Chetan Nanda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have RHEL 4 AS installed on my desktop PC (INTEL Pentium D
> > processor). My RHEL distribution has 2.6.9-34Smp kernel.
> >
> > I tried to upgrade my kernel to 2.6.20, for this I downloaded 2.6.20
> > kernel, compile it and install it (using make, make modules_install
> > and make install).
> >
> > But on rebooting and running my new kernel hangs.
> > I have tried to debug the issue and on adding prints to init/main.c
> > file, I found that kernel is hanging somewhere inside the 'init'
> > program present in the ramdisk.
> > I have added some prints in 'arch/i386/process.c- sys_execv' it shows
> > that 'init' program is also runs.
> Make sure you don't use "quiet" kernel param. And enable time label in
> boot messages....unfortunately I forgot which kernel config that
> enables this.

Yes, "quite" is present in kernel command line. I have copied that
from RHEL command line.
BTW, what is the purpose of "quite" param in command line.

> basically, if you don't mind, enable everything in "kernel hacking" section.
>
> BTW, have you create the initrd for your new kernel?
I do not create the initrd explicitly, but after doing "make install"
initrd-2.6.20.img automatically gets created in /boot dir. Do I need
to create it explicitly?