Hi all,
         My question is not related to kernel programming as such, although
it is certainly related to kernel internals.
I have an Intel Dual Core cpu on which i wish to run linux 2.6. I compiled a
custom 2.6.24.3 and booted into it, only to find that the system was
unusable due to kacpid and kacpid_notify taking up almost all the CPU time.
And since, these are kernel threads (CMIIW), i could only renice but not
kill  them :( I tried enabling/disabling power mgmt options like frequency
scaling etc, but no help. Then,I turned ACPI off using the kernel parameter,
but that left me with a single CPU running. Any way, the system malperforms.

What makes kacpid take so much of CPU ? Is there any (hackish?) way to fix
the problem (not create the threads at all ??) ? I don't mind broken ACPI.

Also, can anybody shed some light on why SMP is so dependent on ACPI ? Is it
for any of ACPI's tables ? registers ? timers ? and earlier, did SMP(w/o
ACPI) work well with APM ?

Would be glad to know anything i've missed.

Thanks for reading, thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Pranav

If we didn't have C, we would have had BASI, OBOL and PASAL.