I discovered something interesting a few days ago. Maybe I'm behind times but
new to me. I thought I would pass it on in case any of you have the same need
some day.
I am building a small camping trailer. While insulating the walls with the home
depot pink and blue insulating foam. The foam stuck out a little so I got a
long sanding board and sanded it down level with the wall studs. That was a
massive amount of work since that foam doesn't sand so easily. (Ain't nobody
got time for that!) SEE YOUTUBE LOL
On the roof of it the foam had to be thicker which required using two pieces of
the foam but was leaving even more foam protruding this time. My original plan
was to cut long pieces of foam
1 3/4" wide and turn them on edge and just keep cutting lots of them to fill
between the trailer ceiling joists.
Then a tiny light bulb lit in my brain. I have a surface planer that I use for
lumber! I ran the 11" wide pieces of blue foam through the planer to see what
would happen. I will have to admit that I didn't think it would work but that
foam ran through there and planed down just as it were a board. Wow, that was
cool. I was able to make the foam exactly the thickness I needed. While
building an airplane I can imagine needing precise thicknesses of foam for
different applications, but I would NEVER use this type of foam in an airplane,
it is non structural and the fiberglass, carbon, Kevlar cloths when applied
WILL DELAMINATE EASILY FROM IT. One more thing about this foam. Some of it has
a thin plastic sheet coating that peels right off. Be sure to remove this
before attempting to glue or fiberglass onto it. I wish this foam was good for
building planes because it is so readily available but it is not, please don't
use this stuff for your airplane.

Larry H