Tamara, I don't know the exact distances between Australia and the UK and
Australia and the US - but from experience of posting my books to America, and
receiving letters and other goodies from America, I know that it *always* takes
a heck of a lot longer for mail between the US and Australia.

A letter from the US to here seems to take somewhere between 14 - 21 days, and
when I ordered something from a US supplier, the parcel took nearly three
months to get here, in spite of being "airmail".

On the other hand,  I sent a parcel of my books to the same supplier, and she
had them in less than 14 days!!  (On more than one occasion, too).

But, like you, I exploded when I was told 6 - 8 weeks to send an airmail parcel
to the US.  I told the clerk that I didn't want them to *row* the thing across
in a small boat, but to put it on a plane - but he wasn't amused.  (Come to
think of it, neither was I!!)

It seems strange to me, 'cos I always imagine Australia to be roughly halfway
round the world from either country!!

The Australian postal service abolished the "small package" rate years ago, and
has, in the past couple of years, readjusted the sizes of other parcels in what
we, their customers, regard cynically as a revenue-raising exercise.  Pretty
soon even a letter will be regarded as a "parcel".

Regards, Ruth Budge (Sydney, Australia)
Tamara Duvall