Locally here, they will give you a plastic shopping bag, but at 5
cents each. Generally a reusable bag from them is about a dollar.

But even better we've found is that they also offer these plastic
bins.. about the same size as one of those baskets you can carry
around the shop in lieu of a trolley. Those are /brilliant/. They have
straps to make carrying easier, and hold so much more and don't fall
over in the back of the car. You just have to be careful not to fill
one with all the tins and one with all the bread (or at least manage
to have someone else carry the one with the tins in from the car ;)

In my small often rather hippie Canadian town, bringing your own bags
to the grocery store has become commonplace across all ages, which is
nice. It's only when I go other places that they look at me funny for
not wanting a bag, bringing my own coffee mug and water bottle.

Heather -- we've gotten back to cool temps, but no snow in SW Ontario
http://jazminknits.blogspot.com
Twitter: jazmincat and #laceknitting