I use a cork mat, and pricking parchment that I get from lace suppliers.  I
have two sizes of cork mat, as it's not easy having to move large prickings
halfway through.  I put a photocopy of the piece on top, fixed with paper
clips and use drawing pins to hold the two sheets firmly in place on the
cork.

I rub over the top sheet with a piece of beeswax.  Wax paper is not easily
available (not the same as baking parchment, which is more similar to
greaseproof paper).  I used to use it for making collars for royal iced
cakes.

Don't forget that some pieces of lace need a mirror image copy for the
second half (collars and lappets particularly) .

Edith
North Nottinghamshire