At 05:31 PM 8/18/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Would someone else verify that this fan is Honiton lace?
>I would have said Duchesse or Brugge.
>
><http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2551810050&category=120
8&rd=1>

>Interested to hear what other lace-makers think?

After studying it with my magnifying glass, I conclude that it is handmade
bobbin lace -- but definitely not Honiton.    The style of work falls in
the Bruge/Duchesse/Miracourt family, but a simplified form.  There's no
halfstitch.  The braids are the simplest kind.  As 'slugs and snails'
are deteriorated Honiton, this is deteriorated Bruge.  (Strictly personal
opinion this time. <G>)  The work seems to be even and consistent.  This
lacemaker, with a bit more effort, might have produced a choice piece
of lace.

To a non-lace-educated person, this would be lovely.  I'm surprised that
a 'lace collector' would mislabel it Honiton.

Happy lacing,

Alice in Oregon - Spangled 115 bobbins--Tired of playing with beads.
Oregon Country Lacemakers
Arachne Secret Pal Administrator
Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]