A large book of samples was assembled, showing the lace which the Winslow
Lace
Industry offered for sale;  many of the designs were very different from
those
being produced elsewhere in the region, some being copies of lace brought
back
from the continent by the Hubbard family and their friends.

The sample book was acquired by The Lace Guild in 1998.  When it was first
put
on show, various members expressed an interest in working out some of the
patterns and in many cases adapting them for modern use (e.g. by adding
corners);  this is a small selection of the results.

I don't know how times I have read in recent years that '"The sample book was
acquired by The Lace Guild" but not once has it been mentioned that this book
was from the estate of Nenia Lovesey, whose mother used to teach lacemaking
for two weeks each year at the school in Kensington Church street, London, for
Louisa and Rosa Tebbs.

I have a lengthy newspaper cutting dated September 22nd 1905 which I found
inside a book that I purchased from Nenia some 15years ago, and have sent a
copy of it to the Lace Guild which describes a two day sale of lace by the
Winslow Lace Industry.

Further information about Nenia's childhood and memories of her visits to the
lace school in Kensington can be found in her book entitles 'Reflections on
Lace' published by Dryad in 1988.  Unfortunately this book is now out of
print, but makes interesting reading and pictures of samples of lace in the
aforementioned book are illustrated along with a certificate awarded to Lucy
Hubbard and a letter from Thomas Wright, which The Lace Guild also acquired
from Nenia's estate.

I have passed on this information to the Lace Guild and hopefully members will
be able to read it in a future edition of Lace.

Regards Catherine Barley