On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 11:37:16 -0800, you wrote:

>wonder if I have the right kind of paints. What does everyone uses to paint
>their bobbins?  I also bought some water soluble outdoor gloss sealer that I
>thought I could put on after the paint dries. Have I just bought a bunch of
>great paints to pass along to friend's little kids or are these suitable for
>using on my bobbins?

Hi Darlene - well you've made the right first step by buying unpolished bobbins to
paint. Many lacemakers make the mistake of trying to paint polished
ones and wonder why it doesn't work.
I use artists acrylic paint (in tubes) which isn't expensive and a little goes a long
way. You can control the consistency and the colours are intense
and vibrant. They are quick drying, don't smell, and I love the way I can layer the
colours. I prefer non-sable paintbrushes - the nylon or man-made
ones are better for painting on wood, and I use 5 zero and 4 zero.
I coat them when dry ( 3 coats) with a plastic coating for wood, which you can usually
get at a hardware shop, but polyurethane varnish will do as
well - it just takes longer to dry between coats, and I need speed. The plastic
coating can be re-coated in 30 mins. The brand I use is by Rustins and
they have a web page:
http://www.rustins.co.uk
When I tried a water-soluble varnish  on the paint it made all the colours run, so not
very useful.
BTW - I never varnish the necks of the bobbins - it makes them too slippy for thread,
and gives me something to hold when I varnish them.
My DH has made me a long wooden rack, raised at one end,  with holes drilled into it,
to hold them whilst drying - it makes my job a whole lot
easier.
Good luck.
ttfn Jacqui

Jacqui Southworth, Fleetwood, Lancs, England
Larkholme Lace - Bobbin Lace Supplies, painted bobbins and tools,books
www.larkholmelace.co.uk
*** NEW - Christmas 2003 bobbins ***