Happy New Year all. I have been teaching a one handed lace maker in Spain for
a few years now. Her name is Lissette. She had very extensive breast cancer
which went untreated because of her fear. Any way she is alive and fairly well
but her right arm is only for appearance. It just about moves and her hand
does not function. I go to Spain for four weeks in January and three in June and
this is when Lissette learns more "tricks". She does lots of lace. When I go
next week she wants to do a racecourse shaped edging for her table. I have
given her three pillows. The idea was when I arrive I can borrow one of them. No
chance!! They are always full of Lissette's  lace.  :-)    She is a swiss lady
married to a English man, Bob. They live in Spain as it makes there income go
further. Lissette hasn't found any lace supplies in her area but as I go
regularly it is no problem. She has learnt all the stitches by number, so she does
a "1 2 3 4 or a 1 2 3" never half or whole stitch! It really made me think as
I don't remember how many moves a stitch takes, I just do it. The only thing
we haven't managed to over come is sewings. We have found it impossible to do
with one hand. The racecourse edging Lissette will keep for me to do the
sewings. We I must go and sort out what I need for her next week. Have a great lace
making year and when you say your eye sight is poor, your fingers are stiff or
you are too old, remember Lissette who is in her 70's.

         KEEP LACING, VIVIENNE, BIGGINS