From: "Tamara P. Duvall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "lace Arachne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 2:03 AM
Subject: [lace] The Duchess of Arachne (was: beginner in
California)

> On Apr 18, 2004, at 8:05, Jane Partridge wrote:
>
> >> I'll be coming back to US July 22 and, being an elderly
lady,

> > And since when have you been "elderly", Tamara? You're
not the
> > "dowager"
> > duchess yet :-))) (oh dear, I suppose we have quite a
few new arachnes
> > to explain your title to, so much happens on the list in
nine years!)

> We are now told, repeatedly, that one's as young as one
feels, no? So,
> the opposite ought to hold also (only fair <g>) I've felt
old from the
> day I reached 5, and my parents decided I was too old for
the stroller
> and had to walk from then on.... :)
>
> As for the "Dowager Duchess" business, for the newbies...:
Although my
> bloodlines are "mixed" (to use the kindest descrption), I
always met
> the most demanding Communist requirements; I'm low-class
on both sides.
> But I married a guy whose surname, while more acceptable
to the English
> speakers than my maiden name (you don't want to "go
there", trust me
> <g> There's a *very good* reason I've reduced it to an
inoffensive
> "P"), was still unacceptable to the Microsoft's spell
checker... :)
> Which promptly supplied a "ducal" solution to the "Duvall"
problem,
> when one of the Arachneans tried to write to me; I became
a Duchess for
> a while afterwards...
>
> This may be an *un*-usual disclaimer (every other Pole I
met in this
> country seems to claim aristo descent), but I have no
connection
> whatsoever to any Potocki's or Radziwill's or, or, or
(even though my
> maiden name claims -- in an arrogant manner -- "he has
arrived")... It
> was just a 'puter mix-up (and we all are familiar with
those). Anyway,
> my ducal strawberries were soon superseded by the claims
of Queen David
> (and those, at least, had some *substance* <g>)...
>
> Yours, of proletarian-peasant descent, with not a blue
vein running
> through my body, thousands year old at almost 55, and
currently
> harassed by a "family invasion" (the last 4 are leaving on
Wednesday,
> I'm told)
>
> -----
> Tamara P Duvall
> Lexington, Virginia,  USA
> Formerly of Warsaw, Poland
> http://lorien.emufarm.org/~tpd/
>
> -
> To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
containing the line: