Improvisation is a good idea, and the cardboard box idea is a good one.
I've never made or bought a bobbin tree, but have a tall plastic tupperware
jug which I use when I need something to hold bobbins.  It is straightsided
and fairly stable, and can be covered with a cover cloth.  One of the
bobbins sits inside, it's pair on the outside.  Having a handle also makes
it easy to carry!

Karen,
In Coventry, with a garden with Clematis and Hellebores in full bloom and
Rhubarb (pie plant for Americans) growing profusely.