I am forwarding the message below from the Textile Society of America list:

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
The editors of "Biancheria: Domestic Needlework in the Italian Diaspora are
looking for submissions on the domestic needlework of women from the
Italian diaspora. This interdisciplinary anthology, which grows out of the
John D. Calandra Italian American Institute's 2002 conference on the
subject,will include articles by scholars in the humanities and the social
sciences (anthropology, art history, cultural studies, folkloristics, history)
as well as creative work (memoir, poetry, fiction, photo-essays).
Embroidery and lace work were basic skills of Italian working women.
Biancheria, the collection of bed coverings, tablecloths, towels, doilies,
intimate apparel, and other hand-embroidered textiles, was a centralelement
in a bride's corredo (trousseau). Immigrant women brought this artistry
biancheria took on additional cultural significance and, as earlier
practices faded, those heirlooms and memories became sources for renewed
cultural production such as poetry and painting.

Despite this rich cultural legacy, little scholarly documentation exists on
the domestic needlework of women of the Italian diaspora. This anthology is
a corrective to this lack of written history.
The editors are especially interested in submissions that explore topics
such as:
- The place of needle work in the everyday lives of women and
their families and communities.
- The changing nature of the aesthetics and market value of
needlework during immigration.
- The role domestic needlework played in the creation of an Italian female
proletariat.
- Comparisons between domestic needlework and factory needlework.
- The role of social elites and mediators in the service of the Arts and Craft
movement.
- Needlework's symbolic power in the cultural memory of descendants of
immigrants.
> > - Rewritings of the stories around domestic needlework in creative media,
including film, video, and photography.
- Gendered perspectives that include men's responses to and recollection of
domestic needlework.
- Domestic needlework as a cultural bridge with the immigrants'
>culture of origin.
- Comparisons between needlework and other forms of domestic work
>and material culture
- Needlework and the sacred
- Cross-cultural perspectives (for example, comparisons with African
American women's quilts or Italian American and Italian
>Australian needlework).
- The preservation of needlework: from the home to the museum.

Five hundred-word proposals for scholarly articles are due October 1, 2004.
Send scholarly submissions and 200-word bio to Joseph Sciorra. Full texts
of creative writing submissions should be sent by October 1, 2004 to
EdvigeGiunta. Both hard copy and email submissions are accepted. Early
inquiries are welcome.
Edvige Giunta, English Department, New Jersey City University,
2039 Kennedy Boulevard, Jersey City, New Jersey 07305, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Joseph Sciorra, John D. Calandra Italian American Institute, 25 West 43rd
Street, 17th floor, New York, NY 10036, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please feel free to circulate. Apologies for cross postings.