Actually my wife went to beautician school and one of her achievements was
to weave a hat made directly from the hair on the mannequin's head. Altho it
wasn't done in the BL technique <G>  But probably similar half stitch ground
if I remember the way she described it.  Was a popular 70s/80s hair weave
trend.

We got the idea from a pic from a hairdressing website(sorry, don't recall
which one) and the back of the head was woven like that, which sparked the
idea.  Except in the original photo the hairdresser twisted the hair before
weaving and we wanted the strands gelled and flat to look more like a basket
weave.

Unfortunately we don't have good photos of her hair completed.  The humidity
did a number on her curls as we were working with them and flopped all over.
Didn't happen that way when we did a run thru/dress rehearsal on her hair a
week before.  Had to use the hair cement to tame those curls! So the weave
on the back of the head kind of hid some :(  A bit dissappointed, but was
still fun to do ;)

But oh the possibilities!

Mark, aka Tatman
www.tat-man.net