Brenda wrote:

Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 01:31:26 +0000
From: Brenda Paternoster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [lace] Machine made needlelace -- ???

I've just put a scan of my piece of Chinese needlelace onto

http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/lace/chinese_needlelace.htm
or
http://tinyurl.com/7qpav

Do you think it's entirely hand made or just had assembled?

Brenda

About 20 years ago I purchased similar Chinese Needlelace mats from D H Evans
department store in London when they had a Chinese Exhibition.  Since then I
have bought several others.  I do not know of any machine that can produce
'real' needlelace stitches.  A Chinese KNITTING  machine cannot produce real
button-hole stitches.  The Handstitch machine, Joshua Heilman 1826 - I think
the date is right - can make a very good copy.  However, on close inspection
with a magnifying glass, the stitches are all based on an in-and-out weaving
stitch, but in various combinations.  I have a Handstich machine copy of
Venitian Gros Point, that from a distance would fool anyone.  I will write
more about the Handstich machine when I have time - I am busy proof-reading
the final colour proofs of my new book on Central and South American Textiles
- very exciting.

I believe that all the Chinese needlelace is made by young girls in sweated
workshops.  They make everything in sweat-shops, shoes, clothing etc - that is
why their goods are so cheap and swamping the rest of Europe, I do not know if
they are exported to USA.
I remember seeing a whole pile of lace mats for sale at a Craft Sale stall,
looking down the pile they all looked identical - but the vendor assured me
thay were all handmade.  I bought two.  There is a certain 'stiffness' to the
design of these pieces, making them immediately identifiable as Chinese. The
same can be said for their white-work embroidery produced in similar
circumstances.

Thanks Brenda for the lovely scans of your mats - we are all very grateful to
you

Angela in snowy Worcestershire UK