I find the way words change their meanings leaving puzzles for the future
fascinating - Brugge lace turning into witches via Spanish being one!

Happily jumping in with full ignorance, is it possible that "piete" in the
original posting means exactly what it says, in that it's the French for piety.
 Could the lace sellers of 's Gravenmoerse simply have found a name in the
language of fashion for their lace, slightly more pronouncable by non-Flemish
speakers, when marketing their product for church use?  Lace made of peat seems
unlikely to attract anyone, and I doubt if the purchasers would have been that
interested in the English spinner of the thread, or indeed if it were made of
pita.

<I have found the word piete lace as a replacement for 's Gravenmoerse
lace probably refering to the peat industry in the area.>

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"next to the goddess fair and free, fairly free, fraily free, divinest
Etymology"