Now THAT will get my DH's attention!! He loves fishing like I love lacemaking!!

Clay

Vibeke Ervo wrote:
When I was looking for something else in the Online Britannica I also
had a go at 'bobbin lace' and found this reference to Early history of
fishing.

Greetings

Vibeke in Copenhagen
---

The first rudimentary reel had consisted of a wooden spool with a
metal ring that fitted over the angler's thumb. By 1770 a rod with
guides for the line along its length and a reel was in common use. The
first true reel was a geared multiplying reel attached under the rod,
in which one turn of the handle moved the spool through several
revolutions. Never popular in Great Britain, such reels became the
prototype of the bait-casting reel as devised by two Kentucky
watchmakers in the early 1800s. The predominant British reel was
called the Nottingham reel, based on the wooden lace bobbin devised in
that ancient lacemaking town. It was a wide-drum, ungeared, very
free-running reel, ideal for allowing line and bait or lure to float
downstream with the current and suitable for casting lures for
predatory fish in various kinds of sea fishing. It was influential on
the design of fly-fishing reels.