I've not tried using fibre optic filament for lace but I have used monofilament a couple of times. As weavers in a couple of 'sari' bookmarks - see Steph Peters' website
http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/bobbinlace/sari.htm
Not as difficult to use as I thought it would be. I've also made a sample using DMC Chamaeleon (supposed to change colour in sunlight). The texture of that reminds me of a plastic tablecloth!

The only time I've seen fibre optics combined with lace was the sea urchin entered into the John Bull Trophy / Lace Guild exhibition in 1993. It was the group prize winner, made by the Moonrakers lace group but was the one piece that didn't get exhibited that year because it got damaged. :-(
have uploaded a picture of it, for a short while only, at
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/lace/arachne/sea_urchin.htm

I don't know of a retail source for optic fibre in long lengths
http://www.fujikura.co.uk/fibre_optics/products/speciality_fibre/ index.html
sell industrial quantities.

According to
http://www.emanator.demon.co.uk/bigclive/fibre.htm
a bundle of fibres plus a couple of battery operated lights are readily available from pound shops etc. This site has instructions for converting the lamp from battery to mains power if anyone is interested.

Brenda