In a previous message, I said:

> > Most of these threads were rayon so they don't
> work well with lace.

I got a private reply back which I wish to pass on,
and ask a question of you all:

> I love my rayon machine
> embroidery threads for lace and
> lots of my students get on well with them.  As
> single threads for Milanese and
> similar like the Sandi Woods lace, or doubled up for
> Torchon.  No worse than
> silk for staying on the bobbins.  Finally all the
> different makes - Madeira,
> Coates, Sulky/Guttermans, Janone and others - each
> have their own wide colour
> range, but as they also all work well together,
there
> is an excellent choice of
> intermediate colours for shading.

This made me think.  Why do I say no rayon? My first
teacher used cotton and linen.  Others had said
natural fibers were best -- cotton, linen, silk.  The
only real NO I can think of is No Polyester.  Somehow
my mind put the polyester and rayon in the same pile.

So --- I take back my statement.  I have no proof to
back it up.  And now have the interesting challenge of
trying these threads for myself.   All these years I
may have overlooked the resource right at hand of a
couple hundred colors of thread.

My question to you:  Have you used rayon thread for
lace, and if so, how did it work for you?

Alice in Oregon -- nasty weather, cold, wet, windy.
Staying in and warm today.  Supposed to start using
fingers in a light, limited way.