The modern lacemaker seems to do a wide variety of patterns rather than
concentrating on just a few for her lifetime.

If a pattern is going to be used only once, there's little concern that the
pricking will endure.  However, I have found that I will repeat some patterns
several times, or many times, if I particularly like it.  I have at least three
patterns that I keep returning to, and have made as many as 30+ times.  Since I
tend to use a paper pattern on file folder and covered with plastic film, I can
use a pricking 8 or 10 times before it becomes ragged.  I have remade prickings
several times on those favorite patterns.  This is for smaller patterns like
bookmarks or ornaments.

For an edging, the thought process needs to be a bit different.  The easy way
to do a long edging is with a roller pillow.  In this case, there is a
relatively short pattern around the roller that is used repeatedly for the
length of the edging.  The paper/folder/film sandwich has been known to break
down before completing a long edging.  This is more like repeating a pricking
100+ times so should be more sturdily constructed, or replaced when it shows
wear.

I have made edgings with two short sections of the pattern that were
alternated.  I could really see the wear on the pattern pieces as I progressed.
 I can usually do two or three yards on the pattern.  If I had gone further, I
would have had to remake the prickings.

I have one friend who uses just the paper pattern for a small, quick project.
She doesn't make it sturdy unless it's going to be used more than once.  She
does beautiful work so it seems to work with her.  I want something a bit
thicker, even for a small quickie.

My prickings are usually saved cause I never know when I may want to do the
project again.  I do admit to needing a better system of storing these
prickings.  I started putting them in three ring notebooks with plastic sheet
protector pockets.  The notebooks were divided by the type of lace.  Sometimes
I put the pricking in the book the pattern came from.  However...there's this
stack of prickings that didn't get put anywhere. Maybe I need a private
secretary to do these things so I can just make lace. <G>

Alice in Oregon .. on a very cold morning with icy streets, but it's supposed
to warm up soon.