Hello All!  OMG--Tess, thanks so much--Arizona rocks!!  It's a wonderful site &
I have been known to get lost in there for days.  The 1875 Honiton Lace Book &
1885 Ladies Fancy Work are my faves from this visit.  Thanks to you & John for
sharing!  As to Bev's comments on kumihimo, I've not seen the Franciscan cords
but there are other old plaiting/braiding techniques in which the bobbins are
not held.  Just before The Lacemaker shop closed, I purchased a Chinese
braiding stand to use with Jacqui Carey's book.  I'm still practicing with big
thread & hope to get good enough to replicate Miao embroidery with fine silk at
some point.  Threads are picked up & the weighted bobbins simply hang to
provide tension when not in use.  If memory serves, Tracy also had a Viking
(??) cord set-up that hung from a doorway.  Bobbins are swung but not held.
Sincerely, Susan Hottle, Palm Beach Gardens, FL USA