I have a cover with a layer of carpet-type felt under it for a standard 18inch
cookie/45cm mushroom pillow.  It has the additional advantage of giving a
slight amount of "give" which makes sewings using a needlepin much easier -
it's not much worse than using a proper Honiton pillow, and useful for making
odds and ends when my Honiton pillow is otherwise occupied.  For that, a
thickish felt would be necessary, and an old suit probably not, the felt being
non-woven fibres felted, rather than a woven material fulled.  Horses for
courses/different pillows for different laces.
Kind regards

leonard...@yahoo.com