Uhm, I didn't say that only multiple thread lace is the only form worthy
of the name, or that knit, crochet or any of the other laces are not
'lace'. Most people interpret the word 'lace' as being done with fine
thread (crochet cotton and/or finer) or fine lace yarn, not something
done with worsted or bulky weight yarn or even thicker. And to call
something lace because it incorporates intentional holes is not
completely correct either. If you do that then something like the
webbing on a chair or bedframe could be called lace too, cause that also
has 'intentional' holes. Would you call a hammock made of knotted rope
lace? Most people won't.  You would not call a fishing net lace either,
yet both these last are 'netting' which is a form of lace.
And I have done all those kinds of lace too, I have knit doilies in size
100 crochet cotton, and crocheted with fine threads, and just did my
first try of tatting with YLI 100 silk thread. And I am knitting several
Shetland Ring shawls, out of what is called Gossamer cashmere or
Gossamer wool, and I have also woven lace on a loom, but if I weave
something with heavy thread, even if it has intentional holes in it, I
don't call it lace, but I might call it lacy. And if I knit a coat out
of bulky weight yarn, and put a lace type pattern in it, most people
would not say I was wearing a lace coat...but if I knit it with a fine
lace yarn, or a fine cotton, people would say I was wearing a lace coat.
Yes materials do have relevance in how people interpret a word, sure,
not always, but most of the time. And even the intended use of the item
has relevance in the use of the word.

*Marianne*

Marianne Gallant
Vernon, BC Canada