May I ask how far along is the functionality for the package downloading and installation ?

ie, what is working/not working/too do at the moment.....

The best way to assess that is to go through each and every command and test them. It's a tedious job, but someones got to do it. I started by doing the same to fpkunit about two weeks ago. I'm about to file the last patch before commencing to fppkg. At the same time I made a wikipage explaining all commands (http://wiki.freepascal.org/FPMake). We should do the same for fppkg.

I have a small amount of spare time to do some things on this... and although coding isn't my thing anymore - it looks like packaging is a bit of a dilemma at the moment... subversion is fine for development... but not so pleasant to use as a support tool :-(
There's no dilemma, you can use lazarus packages perfectly now also, there's only no package manager that takes away some of the work. But you will need the "manual" install always for non registred packages.

ok, speaking of svn, any problem of joining the project as a developer ? so I can get this stuff done ?
Typically you start by sending in the patches. If we will be working together on fppkg, I would suggest some sort of coordination. Best to put that on the wikipage or communicate it trough the FPC devel mailinglist I suppose.

Darius