On 6/23/06, Steven H. McCown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
As for databases, what are the database requirements?  If the program
operation is to be done at the ward level, then we're probably (depending on
the ward size) talking about 30-150 kids or so.  If at the stake, then
multiply that by 8 or so.  Are those numbers sufficient to warrant a
database?  If so, what type (not brand)?  Granted, I'm not a DBA, but isn't
a flat file faster for those numbers?

I think that's worth asking.  Is the nature of advancement tracking such that it lends itself to 1 portable file per individual, whether that file be flat or xml-ish?

Suppose leader is recording participation in a swim activity or hike or meeting, and a kid needs 12 such events to qualify for requirement 6a of the Athlete activity pin.  Would it be appropriate to record the event id and date in his data file with the details on the event in the event log file?  Would such an approach be something we would regret later?

Pros:
It's extremely portable, and could be even semi-readable by mere human parents moving out of the area.

Cons:
It's a proprietary hack.
It doesn't seem very elegant.

Tom Haws