Yes, you can non-alpha characters in the name fields. I've exported [[
and ( just fine.

As for the reason behind it, you might want to mark the person
"Private" by checking the box on the lower right of their individual
screen. This will give you the flexibility of not exporting them in a
GEDCOM (uncheck "Export Private indiviiduals") or Reports.

Susan Daily