Tom Siblo wrote:

> Dear Comrades:
>
> This is why I am organizing on the APril 20th United Front Action in
> Washington.DC.
> I also believe that for those who cannot afford or cannot amke a long trip
> there should be local and regional actions called for the same day.

One cannot emphasize too much that "there should be local and regional
actions called for the same day." Our group here in Bloomington/Normal
Illinois is weak (we couldn't pull off a response to the appearance here
of that war criminal Allbright), but we are planning to combine
recruiting for the April 20 march with planning for a local rally on the
same day.

One of the reasons that the Post-Seattle movement never quite convinced
me it was for real is that it did not generate extensive discussion in
various movement media of what _local_  activities were being organized
in preparation of, in support of, and in follow-up to the 'big' demos.
Big demos are something like elections -- they take the temperature of
the movement but don't, in themselves, do much most of the time. The
1969 November Moratorum might have stopped a nuclear war. A later local
demonstration in Colombus Ohio when Nixon came to speak might have been
the straw that broke his will to keep up the war. But it took literally
tens of thousands of local and regijonal demonstrations and rallies over
four or five years to create the base that generated the bodies at the
November Moratorium. And it took an immense nation-wide movement to
create morale which informed the local Colombus welcome to Nixon.

Carrol