Basis of Unity

Solidarity Village is organized along the lines of the Basis of Unity
adopted through the G8 Spokescouncil process in Alberta:

    * We are a diverse and dynamic movement, united in our desire for
self-determination and a just, equitable society.

    * We are building local and global alternatives that are open,
inclusive, and non-hierarchical.

    * We assert that the direct participation of people is essential to
ensure that society reflects their needs and desires.

    * We reject the dehumanizing and antidemocratic system perpetuated by
institutions like the G8. We reject a world vision where people,
environments and culture are only valued as commodities to be exploited
for profit.

    * In order to eliminate the oppressive power of authoritarian
structures, we support bold and creative actions that respect the natural
environment and human safety.

    * We encourage the involvement of other individuals and autonomous
groups who affirm this basis of unity.

        [ http://www.oxygensmith.com/~g8camp/home/index.php#basis
        http://g8.activist.ca/basisofunity.html    ]

A Call to Action:
Defy the G8, Come to Kananaskis

June 21 to 28, 2002

The G8 meeting in Kananaskis, Alberta June 26-27, 2002 presents a
challenge to social movements around the world. This summit of the
dominant economies of the world strives to present the G8 vision of the
world as one of development and democracy. In fact, it represents an
agenda of corporate globalization, which results in the social exclusion
of growing millions of people, systemic global poverty, and the
degradation of the natural environment, supported by escalating
international militarism.

Civil society in Alberta is mobilizing to confront the G8 and present an
alternative vision to corporate globalization. We invite people across the
country and around the world to join with us in building a festival of
resistance to the G8 in Kananaskis.

Solidarity Village will be a microcosm of the possible - a place where we
can strategize, tell stories, share regional issues; build long-term
coalitions; demonstrate living alternatives to capitalism and teach each
other new ways to manifest dissent.

Solidarity Village will provide a setting for education, teach-ins, and
workshops, and celebrate art, music, and drama as an integral part of
building a global popular movement. It will provide a space for
convergence, medical and legal aid, independent media, and other support
to individuals and groups participating in direct action. It will strive
to create a collective, inclusive and diverse space that respects human
safety, the environment, and the First Nations people.

Solidarity Village will grow out of the foothills near the summit site of
Kananaskis Village. Workshops and training will begin on summer solstice,
June 21, and the camp will build to its height the days of the G8 Summit,
June 26 and 27.

The Village will be a collective vision, and we call on individuals and
groups to participate in the camp by organizing workshops, coordinating
tents, creating art and music, providing resources, assisting with
logistics, or by mobilizing your community to challenge the G8 with
Albertans. We also call on people to act in solidarity with us in
Kananaskis by resisting the G8 in their communities, their regions, and
their countries.

To get involved in Solidarity Village: Visit the website at
solidarityvillage.cjb.net
or e-mail us at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

In Solidarity,

Communications, Energy and Paperworkers Union of Canada,
Alberta Federation of Labour,
Co-Motion Collective,
EcoCity, Edmonton,
Council of Canadians,
Edmonton G8 Planning Collective,
Alberta Council for Global Cooperation,
Calgary & District Labour Council.

            [ http://g8.activist.ca/calltoaction/solvil.html
        http://www.oxygensmith.com/~g8camp/home/index.php#about

"They are all Enron, we are all Argentina"
    --WEF protesters.
----
In the contradiction lies the hope.
                                     --Bertholt Brecht