Speech by Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) President Willie Madisha on
the Occasion of the Protest March to the Israeli and US
Embassies - Pretoria 12 April 2002

Leaders of the South African Communist Party, ANC and
SANCO Comrades and friends!

Dear comrades,

Never has silenced being so deafening!

Never has state terrorism been condoned in the face of
many wars that are being fought under the banner of anti-
terrorism.

In the history of humankind, never have we seen so many
people being maimed and the rest of the international
community digging their heads in the sand.

When the UN, through a resolution, called for the founding
of the Palestinian state, never did the world suspect that it
would amount to savage attacks, maiming of women and
children, bombing of infrastructure and anarchy. Since
1948, the Palestinian people have been in struggle to
ensure that they stay like all of humanity in a country that
they will call their home.

In the same period, the Israeli regimes have fought to deny
the Palestinian people this important birthright.
Notwithstanding the aggression the Israeli has pursued
against the innocent, they have intensified their action and
seized more land in 1967 following the war that took place.

For the last 18 months the Palestinian people have been
intensifying the offensive against the apartheid Israeli to
ensure that their dreams for a free Palestine are realized.
The Arial Sharon regime responded with army tanks,
missiles and other forms of heavy military artillery, which
has seen young children and innocent civilian killed.

The UN for its part is guilty of failing to stop the genocide
against the Palestinians. It possesses both the moral and
political responsibility to ensure that the people of Palestine
are given what is due to them. The UN Security Council
resolutions, as well as the general assembly, have been
violated for decades and have not done anything to punish
Israel. In spite of the UN resolution that calls on Israel to
stop its occupation of Gaza strip and West Bank, the UN
has not taken action as it did in Iraqi dispute.

Millions of Palestinians have been forced into exile.
Whereas people of Jewish origin are allowed into Israel
from wherever they are under the "Law of Return", the
people of Palestine who are in exile are being denied the
right of return to their motherland through the same "Law of
return."

The US has been pumping 5 billion US dollars annually and
arming the apartheid Israel against the Palestinians. It is
these billions of dollars that have killed more than 2000
young people mostly under the age of 15. Arial Sharon has
the full support of the US.

In March, the military forces attacked the headquarters of
the Palestinian General Federation of Trade Unions
(PGFTU). This is a clear case of state terrorism and has
treated everybody in the world with contempt.

In South Africa we have a direct experience of a similar
situation to that of the Middle East.

We expect the same solidarity that was expressed with us
from the world. On our part, while we call for a cessation of
hostilities, we want to make it clear that in this case, Sharon
and his surrogates are aggressors. We call on the Israel to
withdraw its forces from all occupied Palestine land.

We demand that Sharon open negotiations with the leaders
of the PLO, President Arafat and stop the siege in his
headquarters of Ramallah which he has been secluded for
the last 4 months. If they dare kill Arafat, there would not be
peace in the Middle East because of the vacuum that will
emerge!

COSATU side by side with its alliance partners will be
mobilizing the co-ordinating other action with the
international trade union movement as a whole to ensure
that all the demands for a free Palestine are realized.

Amandla!
Viva PLO!
Viva Yasser Arafat!

Patrick Craven and Moloto Mothapo