Reuters. 16 April 2002. Children's Corpses Legacy of West Bank City
Fight.

NABLUS -- The dusty corpses of the al-Shabi children are frozen in time,
testimony to their last moments of life in the battle-scarred ancient
quarter of this Palestinian city in the West Bank.

Seven-year old Azam's arms cover his head as if he was trying to shield
himself from the rubble of his home as it came crashing down, killing
him and seven other members of his family more than a week ago during an
Israeli military offensive.

His four-year-old sister Anis has her little fists clenched to her
stomach. She is curled up, still dressed in her green sport shirt and
pants.

"They were all together in a bombed building in the old city," said Anan
Qadri, the head of the emergency medical committee in Nablus. "The
Israelis destroyed their house in a missile attack and then destroyed it
with bulldozers."

The eight members of the al-Shabi family were among 71 Palestinians
killed in Nablus during the Israeli sweep since April 3, according to
Nablus's Rafidia Hospital records obtained by Reuters.

Israeli armored personnel carriers and tanks churned up the hilly
streets of the West Bank's largest Palestinian city on Tuesday,
enforcing reoccupation.

Qadri had no breakdown for the number of gunmen and civilians killed in
Nablus. "We are still working on this but many of them are civilians,"
she said.

The military curfew imposed on the more than 100,000 residents of Nablus
has grisly implications in a city where tradition calls for mass public
burials and three-day condolence visits.

"We have to prepare the tombs, and the families have to come but we are
under curfew," said Qadri. "The Israeli liaison officer said we will
allow you to only bury them one by one, so we refused."

This means that the bodies of the Shabi family and 25 other Palestinians
are kept in a refrigerated dairy truck in a parking lot behind the
hospital because the mortuary is overflowing with even more corpses.

"Good health and strength!" the advertisement on the side of the truck
says above a collage of colored milk cartons in vivid colors. A
generator hums softly next to the vehicle, keeping its contents cold.

The dead are being lowered into shallow temporary graves, covered in
palm leaves in the Islamic tradition. Three corpses have been buried in
the hospital garden.

And in the old quarter of Nablus, stone steps lead up a narrow alley
toward a wooden door between houses with arched windows their residents
say are centuries old. The door swings open onto a lilac-scented garden.

Under the shade of lush almond and peach trees, two indentations in the
ground mark the spot where 13 Palestinians have been buried in a
temporary mass grave.

Palm fronds fan across the soil. Two military-style olive green
overcoats are splayed in the dirt, riddled with what look like shrapnel
perforations.

"We buried them here," said Nafez Eissa, whose home opens up onto the
garden. "We will dig them up when the Israeli army withdraws and give
them a decent burial in the cemetery."

And in the Askar refugee camp near Nablus, the Abu Aisha family buried
their 11-year old son Qusay near their home. He was shot dead with two
bullets in his chest during the Israeli army incursion into the camp on
Tuesday.

Inside the Old City, known locally as the Casbah, or bazaar, hundreds of
fighters mingled with Palestinian police and security forces of Arafat's
Palestinian Authority in preparation before the Israeli incursion.

Graffiti on the walls urging more militant attacks is scrawled next to
signs which urge residents not to park in driveways.

Blood stains spatter the rubble in front of scorched groceries and
shops. The facades of houses are busted through with gaping holes
residents say were made by helicopter rocket attacks.

Bomb-blasted buildings have been reduced to mounds of yellow stone and
dust.

The door of the 300-year old Al-Beik mosque in the old quarter is
spattered with blood from the dead and injured who were brought into the
prayer room, which was transformed into a temporary operating theater
and first aid station.

Blood-caked surgical instruments soak in dirty water, and plastic
sheeting covers the floors under the mosque's sparkling chandeliers.

Israeli tanks had sealed off the narrow alleyways into the old quarter
during days of fierce fighting.

"After the incursion we turned the mosque into a hospital," said Doctor
Tawfik Ghazal. "We could not evacuate injured Palestinians from the old
city. We tried to save lives in the street under gunfire.

"I saw four patients due before my eyes because we had no blood for
infusions and no proper facilities. We worked under very difficult
conditions."

"They are all Enron, we are all Argentina"
    --WEF protesters.
----
In the contradiction lies the hope.
                                     --Bertholt Brecht