-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: Oil and "conspiracy theories" WSWS replies to Silverstein
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 09:44:22 -0400
From: Chip Berlet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi,

These articles stake out a reasonable ground for a serious debate about
these issues. They deftly defend their original claims and then proceed
elaborate about the difference between conspiracist inclinations and the
fact that actual conspiracies do take place, even if they do not shape
broad
historical patterns. They also distance themselves from some purveyors
of
conspircism:

"The popularity of conspiracy theories about September 11, circulated
through such web sites as www.rense.com, www.tenc.com,
www.fromthewilderness.com and others, reflects the instinctive and
healthy
distrust among millions of working people of the US government and the
American media. This distrust, however, falls well short of political
consciousness, which requires the development of a scientific
understanding
of the social and class basis of the actions of the US government. "

Anyway, up for debate is the value of the following books on the subject
at
hand.  Here are my mini reviews:

= = =

Taliban: Militant Islam, Oil and Fundamentalism in Central Asia
Ahmed Rashid

-- Well-written and argued, but I think too much emphasis on oil as a
primary issue, although that is a political critique. The best of the
lot by
far, and very much worth reading. Not fair to call it conspiracist.

= = =

Forbidden Truth: U.S.-Taliban Secret Oil Diplomacy,
Saudi Arabia and the Failed Search for bin Laden
Jean-Charles Brisard, Guillaume Dasquie, Lucy Rounds (Translator), Wayne
Madsen

--Less persuasive than Ahmed Rashid's book, and too much speculation and
reliance on dubious arguments based on thin evidence; but unfair to
simply
dismiss it as conspiracism.

= = =

The War on Freedom: How and Why America was Attacked, September 11, 2001
Nafeez Mosaddeq Ahmed

--Some good reporting seriously marred by use of dubious sources and
leaps
of logic. Jumps into conspiracism with both feet in coverage of the
actual
9/11 attacks, especially with credulous discussion of claims about
direct
U.S. government and Israeli Mossad complicity.

= = =

L'Effroyable Imposture (The Appalling Fraud)
Thierry Meyssan

--Appalling conspiracist trash. A waste of trees.

= = =

Let the attacks (on my post) begin!

-Chip Berlet