Friends:

E-Mails -- short and trenchant -- to North Dakota Governor John Hoeven are
needed just as soon as possible -- asking him to ensure that the Grand
Forks, N.D. Police Department and other authorities in that general setting
cooperate and help substantially and fully with the forthcoming Search for
Russell Turcotte.  We have been involved in this tragic situation early-on.
The Gov's address is at the conclusion of this letter.

As you may  know from our posts, the Search in the Grand Forks region for
the 19 year old Turtle Mountain Chippewa youth, Russ Turcotte, missing
mysteriously since a Grand Forks night in mid-July, will be occurring this
coming weekend, October 19 and October 20.  A  volunteer search team, headed
by Mr Tim Miller,  is coming up from Texas to coordinate the horseback and
motor vehicular project. Local volunteers will be involved.  Grand Forks, of
course, is the small city setting where, more than a year ago, three Turtle
Mountain Indian men were murdered.  Those cases are still unsolved.  The
Mayor of Grand Forks has, to our knowledge, answered no e-mails on any of
this at all.

But, in response to e-mails and other communications  from around the United
States and abroad expressing concern, North Dakota Governor John Hoeven's
office -- which has been friendly --  recently called Grand Forks
authorities and asked them to substantially assist the Search. The Turcotte
family was given to understand that that would be the case.  They gathered
the Grand Forks police would provide two search centers, try to open up the
fairgrounds for the horses, and would otherwise assist.  Now, as per this of
today [10/15] from a member of the Turcotte family, the  Grand Forks Police
Department may be -- for whatever reason -- backing away:

"Hello Again,
I have a little bad news.  I just talked to Tim Miller. At this time the
only thing the GF police are giving us are 6 cell phones and the
topographical maps. He is hopeful other resources will become available
when we actually get there. . ."   [Ms. Maggie Heagy]

Honorable John Hoeven
Governor
State of North Dakota     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
State Capitol
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505

Further information on all of this in on our large website at
http://www.hunterbear.org/NATIVE%20AMERICAN%20COMMISSION%20PAGE%204.htm

Other pages in that immediate Native American Commission section of our
website discuss the situation involving the three unsolved Grand Forks
Native murders of September 2001  -- in which we've been quite involved from
the very beginning.

This is the letter just received today from Russ' aunt, Ms. Flo Turcotte:

Hello Hunter,
I thought I would forward this to you just to keep you updated. I received
this from my sister, in Houston, just a few minutes ago. I am so frustrated
with the Grand Forks PD once again!  Hopefully once Mr. Miller gets to
Grand Forks, he'll be able to resolve this issue.  thanks to you and
everyone that has stepped forward to assist us, and the other families,
with  your help in trying to resolve the  situations.

Until we talk again,
Flo

Hunter Gray  [Hunterbear]  [Formerly John R. Salter, Jr.   Professor [Ret.]
and former Chair, American Indian Studies, University of North Dakota, Grand
Forks; and the 1989 recipient of the annual North Dakota  Martin Luther
King, Jr. Award -- given by the State King Commission and Governor George
Sinner
www.hunterbear.org
Protected by NaŽshdoŽiŽbaŽiŽ
and Ohkwari'