On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 5:25 PM, David Goss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I recompiled the kernel, but the problem persists.  This is the exact error:
>
> Root-FFS: No NFS server available, giving up
> VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy
> VFS: Cannot open root device "sda4" or unknown-block(2,0)
> Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
> partitions
> 0300 156290904 hda driver: ide-disk
> 0301 102398278 hda1
> 0302   29294527 hda2
> 0303       979965 hda3
> 0304   23615550 hda4
> 1600     4194302 hdc driver: ide-cdrom
> Kernel panic -not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(2,0)

Since the block device is hda, this would indicate that the kernel is
using the IDE driver. So, you can boot with root=/dev/hda4 fine
(should be able to, anyway). Is your disk SATA?

If you want, you can use the PATA drivers that come with libata. Then
you'll get /dev/sd* devices just like on Ubuntu. It all depends how
you configure your kernel. I explained the CONFIG options needed in a
recent thread. Maybe it's the other one that was mentioned. See here:

http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-support/2008-July/034644.html
http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-support/2008-July/034648.html

--
Dan