Hello,

usually the gcc compile process is a very good RAM test in itself but
just to be sure can you boot into memtest86 and have it run some
thorough tests for at least overnight or 24 hours?

I ran this test last night, with no errors found. So I think we can now rule out that it is a hardware problem

LFS doesn't use initrds, so when you build your kernel, you must build
the root filesystem driver (in this case ext4) right into the core of the
kernel. Did you do that?

I went and remade the kernel make sure that in the menuconfig there was a <*> by the ext4 file support.

Just for checking, try using this kernel:

http://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/~bdubbs/files/vmlinuz-4.11.0-lfs-20170507-nvidia

You will not have the /lib/modules support and it assumes a nvidia video card, but it should still get you to a login prompt. If that works we can
go from there.

And I tried the kernel provided by Bruce.

Considering all of this, what would be the next thing to try? Is it possible that a bad grub installation could be causing these problems?

Cheers,
John D. Hefele