On Thu, 15 Feb 2018 06:52:02 +0000
Ken Moffat <zarniwh...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> If anyone is still using an older stable kernel on stressed-out
> intel hardware, I've just been reading a post which mentions that
> 4.14 now *uses* PCID (Processor Context ID, apparently added with
> Westmere (previously known as Nehalem-C).
>
> http://archive.is/ma8Iw

I wonder if that explains the problems I am having with recent kernels. I am
running on an old machine without PCID (I just checked) and I cannot boot
anything later than the end of series 4.13. The panic occurs in the acpi driver
and can be prevented by switching acpi off, but obviously that's not a
preferred solution. Unfortunately, because it happens so early in the boot
sequence, I haven't been able to capture the full traceback even with
pause_on_oops set.

I originally thought that this might be linked to some acpi errors reported by
earlier kernels. By dint of much editing of dsdt and ssdt files, I have managed
to clear all of these, but the panic continues. Unless I can find some
solution, I shall have to build my next LFS with an older kernel than the
native one.

I read somewhere that there may be an incompatibility between newer kernels and
gcc-7. Is this the case?
--
Hazel Russman