On 27/04/16 14:37, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> So, have you considered to just change the implementation in get_bits.h
> instead of this new API? I mean, the API looks largely identical - other
> than the prefix. It might even be 100% identical, but I can't be bothered
> to check. Large parts of the implementation look like they're copied also.

Where exactly? I'm not sure you are reading the same patch or you even
read the front-matter of the set.

The api is quite different from

* OPEN_READER(name, gb)
 *   load gb into local variables
 *
 * CLOSE_READER(name, gb)
 *   store local vars in gb
 *
 * UPDATE_CACHE(name, gb)
 *   Refill the internal cache from the bitstream.
 *   After this call at least MIN_CACHE_BITS will be available.
 *
 * GET_CACHE(name, gb)
 *   Will output the contents of the internal cache,
 *   next bit is MSB of 32 or 64 bit (FIXME 64bit).
 *
 * SHOW_UBITS(name, gb, num)
 *   Will return the next num bits.
 *
 * SHOW_SBITS(name, gb, num)
 *   Will return the next num bits and do sign extension.
 *
 * SKIP_BITS(name, gb, num)
 *   Will skip over the next num bits.
 *   Note, this is equivalent to SKIP_CACHE; SKIP_COUNTER.
 *
 * SKIP_CACHE(name, gb, num)
 *   Will remove the next num bits from the cache (note SKIP_COUNTER
 *   MUST be called before UPDATE_CACHE / CLOSE_READER).
 *
 * SKIP_COUNTER(name, gb, num)
 *   Will increment the internal bit counter (see SKIP_CACHE & SKIP_BITS).
 *
 * LAST_SKIP_BITS(name, gb, num)

And the implementation seems quite different from that (e.g. the bits
cache is in the struct, there API provides just 2 read variants(<32 and
<64 bits instead of 3+ to read n bits etc).

I do not appreciate gratuitous trolling.

lu