(Sorry for top posting)
Currently there are 2 options:

* running  a fully Free/Libre system, then accepts  hardware runs partially.
* running  an half Free/Libre system    then accept hardware would likely runs
"foolish".

A third option would be to build a complete Free/Libre hardware design chain,
unfortunately that would need a huge patents survey with a 25 (20 ?) years back
jump to the past.

At option, a large effort consisting in must-have-features "Patents-Left"
deposing would do the drill (I don't discuss on feasability but on
patent-threat  counter-measure: there is no gentleman agreement in industry,
newcomers just pay).