As some of you might know, there is a new web language under development,
WebAssembly. Firefox already supports it in version 52.

For the ones that are not familiar the overview from their web page:
"WebAssembly or wasm is a new, portable, size- and load-time-efficient format
suitable for compilation to the web."[1]

The wasm code is distributed in a binary format that can easily be translated
to a not so friendly text mode.[2]

As I see, that is not a big problem, since independently of the license, JS can
also be obfuscated to oblivion.

Instead I see it as a huge opportunity, that's our chance to push a standard
way to put license disclaimers on web code. If there was a specific field in
the binary format containing license and source code information, filtering
proprietary web software would become trivial.

There have already been some discussion on the subject and it seems that
licenses would be relegated to comment fields in future versions(the MVP is not
concerned with them).

I opened an issue bringing up the question. Suggestions ans support are very
welcome here and there.

The issue: https://github.com/WebAssembly/design/issues/1011

[1]. https://github.com/WebAssembly/design
[2]. https://github.com/WebAssembly/design/blob/master/TextFormat.md
--
Securely sent with Tutanota. Claim your encrypted mailbox today!
https://tutanota.com