Hello,

I am an end user of Libreboot on a T500. I am not any kind of developer, just
an end user. I installed it to my laptop maybe 6 months ago. However, maybe my
experience may be helpful.

I was very confused when trying to pick between Libreboot, Canoeboot, and GNU
Boot, especially because my particular model does not require blobs, so there
theoretically should not be any nontrivial differences between Libreboot and
Canoeboot. (If I am wrong about that then it speaks to the unintuitiveness of
the current situation). I ultimately picked Libreboot because it had the best
documentation.

Also Libreboot is still orders of magnitude more popular than GNU or Canoe boot
in online documentation, so average end users are unlikely to even know that
the other options exist, so they may not know about the original "librexit" in
the first place, and just assume the Libreboot is still 100% Libre. Also (at
least in my mind) the word "Libre" is typically only used for projects that are
100% FLOSS.

I think it would be better for everyone if there were only 2 "Freedom-focused"
distros: one that obeys the FSDG and has poor hardware support, and one that
makes some exceptions for wider support (as Libreboot does now). The FSDG one
(whether it is technically GNU or not) would be called "Libreboot" and the
other one would be called some other name. Maybe AmelioratedBoot, or LadderBoot
(you are climbing the freedom latter but not at the top). Or call it something
funny like Canoeboot did.

From,
Zachary

May 13, 2024, 1:12 PM by