I would not advise confusing "commerce" and "commercial." The Commerce
Clause refers to an entirely different matter than what Steve asked. Sure,
defining non-commercial is not easy, but it's done all the time because
laws require the distinction to be made. For example, a trademark
anti-dilution claim must show a use in commerce that is also a commercial
use. What that means is the Trademark holder shows that someone is
diluting their mark in interstate commerce and that the dilution arises
from a commercial use. A parody of a famous trademark on a popular website
might be deemed in commerce, but it's likely (although not definitely)
to be deemed non-commerical use since a parody is often considered a use
for comic effect. The point is every plaintiff claiming anti-dilution must
show those elements of the claim. It's difficult, but not impossible.

I do agree with Daniel in one respect: I am unsure whether it's useful to
draw the commercial/non-commercial distinction in the context of a
software license, where enforcement is going to be formidable. If the goal
is to lock-out commercial competitors, why not try a M$ license? (Just
kidding). It's not clear why you want to make the distinction you asked
about so it's difficult to suggest a license.

Rod