Sorry, I'll try and be more specific. I don't use a desktop environment
either, so I normally open emacs from a keybinding that uses the spawn
command in herbstluftwm (which I think is basically a bash exec). Then
after I compile a lilypond file with C-c C-c (and choose lilypond) then
choose view, zathura opens and when I point and click it gets those errors.
If I just close that instance of zathura, and then open a new one (from
dmenu), then point and click works.

I haven't had time to try xpdf yet, but knowing this I can adjust and open
zathura by itself instead of however emacs opens it through the command and
things work. Just a change of habit.