Hello everyone.

I was wondering if anyone is using the SATA port on IMX53 loco (aka the quick start). The obvious issue is that of no power to drive the hard disk or SSD. Unless you have an eSATA enclosure and an appropriate SATA -> eSATA cable, how would you (or how are you) using this port.

Three things come to my mind:

1) Purchase a random ATX power supply unit, connect the 12V rail to the disk, connect the SATA cable to the disk and the board. Short the appropriate cable on the ATX power supply to turn this on. (risky, looks ugly, unsafe).

2) Purchase a USB-SATA dongle, especially the bare-bone model, get a SATA power extender cable, connect one to the USB-SATA board, connect the other to the disk. This way we can power the disk from USB via the adapter and still use the SATA port on IMX.

3) Variant of 2) that could drive 3.25" disks. Purchase a 3.5HDD enclosure, take it apart, assuming it still has cables (not like most 2.5" enclosures that have cable-less connection to the disk) connect just the power cable to the disk and discard the rest.

Each solution seems hacky and ugly to me, perhaps one of you has found a better way.

Thanks
ZK