>Can you set the colors on this sprite so that you can't see it?
>(leave it visible, just camouflage it.

That's pricisely the kludge I'm running now. And it works, so I'm not going
to fight it any longer. The QA Mode status text sprite is on-stage, but is
shrunk to a height of only a few pixels (so that no text shows), and the
scroll bar (which is evidently necessary) is just barely off-stage and not
visible. At the point I need this, it doesn't show anything.

>I presume you are not doing this in your parsing, etc.?
>
>repeat with var = 1 to blah.count

Well, Buzz...the parsing is long since done at the point of my problems. The
parsing is a split second thing earlier in the start-up of the engine.
There's just some DOM access going on in the object creation loop -- no
parsing, per se, going on -- and the repeat block iterates to a maximum held
within a property variable of the ItemManager object:

  property miNumItems

  miNumItems = goXML.getDocumentElement().getAttribute("NumItems")
  repeat with i = 1 to miNumItems

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Christopher Watson
Sr. Software Engineer