Here's a script I wrote a while ago that changes the bit depth of a
500x500 pixels image, called "rasterbg". I'm sure you are able to
modify it to your needs:

-------------------------------------

on exitFrame me
   put member("rasterbg").depth
   changeTheDepth()
   put member("rasterbg").depth
end

on changeTheDepth me
   myImageBuffer = image(500, 500, 8) -- Grimmwerks: change dimensions
to fit your image member, 8 is the desired bit depth
   myImageBuffer.copyPixels(member("rasterbg").image,
rect(0,0,500,500), rect(0,0,500,500))
   member("rasterbg").image = myImageBuffer
end

-------------------------------------

Watch out for emailer-introduced line breaks!

If you *don't* use this script, make sure to use the offscreen image
buffer method anyway.

To copyPixels from one member to another directly is usually *way*
slower than storing the image data in an offscreen buffer, and then
assign the whole buffer to the image member at once.

In this particular case I'm not sure, as you do everything in one
sweep, but if you make more than one change to an image member, it
has to update the screen for every change -> sloooow.

-Andreas