>I just tested this handler in D8 to create a html table on the fly with it
>showing the update on the screen immediately:
<snip>

Mark, you're the greatest! Luke, thanks for the suggestion.

I'm still a little weak on html--I have no problem understanding what you
wrote, Mark, but it would have taken me a couple hours to figure it out by
myself. This one goes in my "special solutions" folder. Thanks! I take back
everything bad I ever said about Canada--no, wait, I never said anything
bad about Canada, did I?

Now, the solution I found--this falls into the "is it plugged in?"
category, I think.

The first problem I had I can describe, but not really explain. I was using
the message window to set the tab stops, put the text & tabs into the
field, etc. The text showed up just fine, with tabs even--but Director's
default tabs, not the ones I set.

Now, the second problem--the text wasn't showing up until I stopped the movie.

I put the code into a handler and ran it. Stepped through it in the
debugger. Text didn't show up. Scratched my head. Stepped through it again.
Had a fight with my former boss (now colleague). Scratched my head.

Sometimes the best thing to do is something--anything--else. I walked home,
ate dinner, went back to work.

The sprite was one frame to the right of the go-the-frame playback head.

Zen koan for the day: what is the sound of one hand slapping forehead?

Cordially,
Kerry Thompson
Learning Network